TECHNET Archives

October 1999

From:
Ed Cosper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:24:13 -0400
Hi Steve,

Couldn't resist a response.   Being a senior staff member which has worked
his way up from an hourly position of building test fixtures and running
etchers, I can appreciate your frustration. However, I can assure you the
grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. It seems
apparent that you are as equally focused on spending money to ease
manufacturing burdens as management is focused on not spending money to
ensure continued profitability.

However, as a manager I doubt your position and requests are falling on deaf
ears. If you management team is successful at making profit, I'm certain
they listen. Otherwise they wouldn't be successful. Managers must weigh
every expense with a return on that investment. Simply put, how will the
company pay for the equipment you want.  A companies budget is not unlike
that of a normal house hold. There is typically a limited amount of income
which must match an almost endless flow out outgoing cash flow.   Much like
your paycheck having to meet your monthly living expenses.  In a well
managed business , a profit is made( much like your personal saving
account ) . From the profits comes new equipment, employee raises, and other
essentials that are necessary for a business to continue to grow.  Now, you
want a new piece of equipment. I suspect you would also like to drive a
Mercedes as well but wanting doesn't make it so.  If you have been able to
save a considerable amount of money in your savings account, would you spend
your hard saved money on a Mercedes if you really didn't need it.

As many of the other responses suggested, figure out how this new equipment
will pay for itself.  This can be in either cost savings ( reduced payroll
via cut in overtime or headcount) or perhaps increased sales dollars
resulting from increased throughput or technical capabilities ( provided the
sales are available). Usually either of these can sway management into a
purchase.  Using quality is getting tougher and tougher.  This I speak form
experience, I currently would like to have several pieces of equipment but
since our yields are so high, I can't justify it though reduction in costs
related to poor quality. Although I know the equipment I want is better,
runs easier, has less breakdown, is easier to service and is more efficient,
I simply can't justify spending the money since what I currently have does a
good job with respect to yields and is not even close to maximizing its
efficiency. Other considerations you may be unaware of. Profit does not
always mean you have unlimited money in the bank.  There could very well be
financing considerations involved. Sometimes even companies that show high
profits have trouble getting their hands on large sums of cash which are
needed for major capital expenditures. Buying capital equipment is not as
easy as running to store and writing a check.

So you see Steve, your not alone if your frustration. You are accompanied by
both engineers and managers alike.

Ed Cosper
ABC