DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:50:16 -0400
Dee,

This is a somewhat old thread I am working my way through but let me exclaim a
resounding YES! to what you say here.  I'm sure my pads are way overkill (too
wide) but then the stuff we make is designed to last at least 30 years.  The
boards are very expensive to make and we can't easily toss them if something is
wrong with them when new or years from now.  They need to be REPAIRABLE  and of
course, with linewidths smaller than 12 mils if there is a bad short, that can
be a chore (get out the wirewrap wire and UV tack cure epoxy and a microscope!).
So we try to make the pads as large as possible so the desoldering tool lands
only on copper and not on FR4 which it will burn/scar.  The tool we use has a 1
mm tip (smaller tips plug up way too fast) so that means a 0.040" OD pad is
about the smallest that can be easily desoldered (vias of course don't count).
That has not caused us any hardships and we do get two 12 mil traces between a
pair of pads on 0.1" centers (everything we do so far is thru-hole).

This kind of design rule is not for everyone (sure would be difficult to make a
Pentium III board this way!

I would hope, Ray, that your new PadMaker program does allow one to continue to
make pads with these constraints.  I wish we were making PCBs like jelly beans
and used bed-of-nails testers and could simply toss in the dumpster anything
that doesn't test A-Ok but no can do.

Once in a great while we do get a stubborn board that refuses to give up the
secret of why it won't work and then we toss it aside for a rainy day but geez,
that hurts the bottom line either way!  9 times out of 10, it's a simple part
mix up (wrong part or inserted wrong).  Recently we had an assembly house do a
no-no.  They put indicator leds on the wrong side of the board (supposed to be
on the solder side AFTER wave soldering), then discovered the gaff, desoldered
and repaired them and shipped them to us.  Leds wouldn't light up.  Say what??
So we discovered that the person doing the repairs had a VERY heavy hand and suc
ked off a lot of the led pads and then put the leds back in the boards COVERING
UP THE DAMAGE!   You would have had to be blind not to see the damage BEFORE the
leds were soldered back into the board.  They had to go back to the assy house
to have rivets put in.  Those boards (assembled) cost ~$250 EACH!  No way I
wanted them (10 of them) tossed in the dumpster.

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L