DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Tim Mullin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:25:20 -0600
If the reference designators are controlled from the schematic a common
practice especially when there are many sheets is to assign a range of
numbers for each sheet. For example on sheet 1 resistors will be assigned a
range from R1-99 on sheet 2 R200-299, and so on. This makes it easier to
locate a component when having to shuffle through many schematic sheets
because the page number is included in the naming of the reference
designator. With the cross-probing capabilities of most EDA software today
it is equally as easy if not easier to locate a component either on a
schematic or a board regardless of where it is or how it was named.

Best Regards,

Tim Mullin - Regional Director
INCASES North America, Inc.
Tel: 253-853-3860  * Fax: 253-853-3861