DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Rodney Carrico <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:14:47 -0700
Thomas,
Yes it is possible but it is less expensive to have the whole board finished
with gold (areas not covered by solder mask).  The process is called
selective gold and requires some extra steps in the processing of the board.
If you are wire bonding you will need soft gold.  Your comments about
relocating these pads to the edge of the board indicates maybe you are
thinking about the standard process used for gold finger connectors.  That
is considered hard gold and to my understanding you can't bond to it.  My
company is currently doing a revision of a design with the soft gold for
wire bonding and will be fabricating it as well.