DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:50:09 -0700
Scott,
Once again, IPC-SM-782 is not very clear with their drawings and/or
information but shows the following, to the best of my interpretation:

Discrete Components - All dimensions appear to be from body of SMT device.
side-to-side = 1.0 mm (0.040 in.)
end-to-end = 0.63 mm (0.025 in.)
side-to-end = 1.0 mm (0.040 in.)
end-to-SMT IC pad = 0.63 mm (0.025 in.)
side-to-SMT IC pad = not specified
end to THD pad = 1.25 mm (0.050 in.)
side to THD pad = 1.5 mm (0.060 in.)

SMT device with pads on four sides -
pad-to-pad = 1.25 mm (0.050 in.)
body-to-body = 0.4 [0.160] Minimum (inconsistency, as presented) with view
angle maximized from top of one device to pad of adjacent device.
pad-to-THD pad = 1.5 mm (0.060 in.)

If further states the following, if you can figure it out:
"The land to land spacing between adjacent components should be 1.25 mm
[0.050 in] clear space all around the edges of printed boards if boards are
tested off the connector or 2.5 mm [0.100 in] minimum if vacuum seal for
testing is used."  I believe this to actually mean the component land to
board edge spacing.

hammering away....
Ray Humphrey, DynaCad Design Services
[log in to unmask]    ||  http://www.dynacad.com/