DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:10:06 EDT
Local Chapter Reports

(Paratheses show the number of CIDs in each chapter.)

Mike Buetow
IPC
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
847-790-5335

/reports Chapter Reports AHOT/AUSTIN (6) Next meeting: Oct. Topic: Plant tour Location: Hadco Corp. Our October meeting will include a tour of the Hadco fabrication facility, located at 15508 Bratton Lane, in Austin. The meeting/tour is set to begin at 6:30. AUSTRALASIAN (3) Rockwell Allen-Bradley's John Sabo will delivered the Designer Certification workshop and conducted the exam Sept. 27 to 29, in Sydney, and he gave a presentation on geometric dimensioning and tolerancing Sept. 30, as part of the Surface Mount '99 conference. Dates for monthly meetings in Melbourne alternate between Wednesday (odd months) and Thursday (even months) at 6:30 p.m. at the SMCBA offices. Further details on all programs are at www.smcba.asn.au. AUSTRALIA (6) The September meeting had a presentation on PCB materials to be given by Jim Weir. CANADA (Toronto) (15) Next meeting: Oct. 13 Topic: PCB layup and build techniques Location: Coretec Inc. The September meeting featured a presentation by Gareth Parry from Hadco. This fall we will be hosting several monthly seminars dedicated to the advancement of PCB design. The topics to be discussed will include: panelization, material usage and stackups, conductive features, drill tolerances and cost impacts, solder mask and legend features, mechanical features (routing, breakaway rails, beveling, scoring, etc.), surface features, controlled impedance, electrical test, data requirements, and an introduction to advanced technologies. The next meeting is from 6 to 8:30 p.m. The topic is PCB layup and build techniques, a presentation by Leighton MacMillan from Coretec. Topics to be discussed include materials (resins, glass, copper, etc.), basic builds, general rules, how-to's, impedance, specifications, predictive tools, and verification techniques. CENTRAL OHIO (2) Next meeting: Nov. 17 Topic: High speed materials Location: Alpha-C Inc. (Dayton) The ubiquitous Rick Hartley makes a presentation on high speed materials next month. The meeting timis 7 to 9. For more information and to RSVP, contact Mike Floyd at Alpha-C (937-252-9496; [log in to unmask]). CHESAPEAKE (2) In September Hadco gave a slide show on how to build a board, followed by a Q and A period. COLORADO (8) Next meeting: Jan. 7 Topic: TBD Location: Holiday Inn (Northglenn) Speakers for the meeting are not yet determined. The time is from 2 to 6, at the Holiday Inn, 10 East 120th Ave. Northglenn. GREATER PHOENIX (13) Next meeting: Oct. 12 Topic: Assembly plant tour Location: Varian Tempe Electronics Center Varian is anelectronics manufacturer located at 615 South River Dr., Tempe. Meeting time is 6 p.m. At the last meeting Sean O'Neil, vice president of DII Design Center, gave a presentation and a plant tour. The presentation gave designers a view of the capabilities of DII. HOUSTON (5) Next meeting: Nov. 9 Topic: GenCAM Location: Baker Atlas Gary Ferrari will present the IPC GenCAM data transfer format. This format supports the interface of computer aided design and computer aided manufacturing systems and is viewed as a replacement for Gerber. On Sept. 17, 1999, Houston hosted its second annual fall training seminar. It was again held at the Mansion at the Great Southwest Equestrian Center in Katy, and again, it was a successful day. Our speaker for the day was Mary Sugden, cofounder of the Copper Connection, an engineering service bureau and PCB design school in Santa Clara, CA. Sugden is an extremely knowledgeable and entertaining speaker, and the attendees reported being extremely satisfied with her presentation and information. The topic for the day was Design for Manufacturability. Sugden led us through a variety of subjects, which included laminate manufacture, the different materials and their characteristics, the pros and cons of different layer stack-ups, the reasoning behind different stress relief efforts, the manufacturing processes for double and multi-layer boards, and board manufacturing tolerances and their cumulative effects. She has a very lighthearted way of keeping attendees' interest and involvement, through good information, illustrations, and sound effects. Approximately 70 people attended, including board designers, EEs, technicians, and manufacturing and process engineers. Each attendee was given a workbook for the class and recent copies of some trade magazines. The profits from this seminar will be used to fund other local chapter events such as special speakers at future meetings, and future seminars and training for Houston-area designers. Attendees were also asked to fill out a questionnaire asking about location and desires for future training sessions. The committee responsible for putting the class together included Susy Webb (chairman), Russel Pringle, Barbara Burcham, Jeff Johnson, and Vinod Patel. They would each like to thank all who came to the seminar, and hope it was a worthwhile experience. Special thanks go to the chapter's board of directors for its continuing support. MIDWEST (Minneapolis) (6) Next meeting: Oct. 5 Topic: Applications of flex circuits Location: Old Country Buffet (Eden Prairie) From 6:30 to 7 will be a chapter meeting, including administrative business. From 7 to 8, our guest speaker Steve Bakke, will explain an application of flex circuits used in a combat weapon that uses smart bullets which bend around corners. He will be presenting a video that shows the use and the effectiveness of this weapon. Dinner will be at your expense ($8.72). For more information contact Carl Lokowich (612-931-5037; [log in to unmask]). Go to the Eden Prairie Shopping Mall at 1000 Eden Prairie Center, located near 494 and 212. (The area has grown, but it is the old mall.) When you get into the Mall area, find the main entrance that is in the inside corner of the "L" shaped building, on the lower level. Approaching the entrance, there is a Sears on the right and Target up on the hill to the left. Just at the main door, the Old Country Buffet is on the right. The banquet room is visible even before entering the mall. We did not have a guest speaker for our September meeting. The discussion was mostly about getting guest speakers and about how we could gain membership. One possibility is a discussion of J-STD-001, the national soldering standard. Mark Shireman may be the guest speaker. NORTHEAST OHIO (22) Next meeting: Oct. 6 Topic: High-speed design Location: Rockwell/Allen-Bradley (Mayfield) This month, Rick Hartley talks high-speed design. Allen-Bradley is located at 1 Allen-Bradley Drive, Mayfield Heights. The presentation begins at 4. Hartley will share the techniques required for the faster rise times of today's devices. As usual, AB will graciously provide pizza and refreshments. Please RSVP to Dave Artman (330-425-4567 ext. 3098; [log in to unmask]). For more information visit the Web site (www.ipc.org/neohio/index.htm). NORTHERN ALABAMA (2) Next meeting: Oct. 4 Topic: Designers certification We will cover the first section of the designers certification preparation class. Contact Frank Frank or Mark Ambrose (see index) for details. NORTH TEXAS (4) Next meeting: Nov. 11 Topic: GenCAM/Designer certification Location: Texans Recreation Center (Dallas) Gary Ferrari is our guest speaker. The meeting starts at 6:30. Later in November, the chapter will have a study group to provide information for the certification exam. We will have our golf shirts available as well. Join us in our growth! More information can be obtained from at www.circuit-technology.com/html/ipc_design_council.html. ORANGE COUNTY (1) Next meeting: Sept. 22 Topic: PWB plant tour Location: Pioneer Circuits Pioneer Circuits, a manufacturer of rigid and flexible boards for the U.S. defense and aerospace industries, is our host for a presentation and short tour of its facility. Dale McKeeby will be our featured speaker discussing PCB technology challenges associated with space projects such as the Mars Rover "Sojourner" and the Hubbell Space Telescope. McKeeby has over 30 years of management experience in rigid, flexible, and rigid-flex PWB manufacturing, and is currently vice president of engineering. PACIFIC NORTHWEST (2) Next meeting: Oct. 14 Topic: High Speed Interconnect Design: the 3 Ts Location: Intel Corp. (Hillsboro) The PNW chapter held a high speed design workshop Sept. 14 at Tektronix. Rick Hartley of Applied Innovation Inc. presented a fast-paced, interactive session attended by a broad audience, which included representatives from design, mechanical and electrical engineering, management, and R&D. Accented were new design techniques and parameters to aid in ensuring the desired functional effects of high speed technology. The well-organized information included definitions, parts placement, formulas, crosstalk and EMI considerations, load modeling, PC structures, and stackup definitions. Circuit analysis is key to the outcome of design along with power distribution and decoupling considerations. Hartley did an excellent job of sharing real examples and suggesting viable solutions to the design issues involved. We had an excellent turnout and brought in many new members. Other chapters might consider using a fee structure for workshops as a way of collecting contact information and encouraging membership, then mailing applications with these fees in order to gain new members. We increased the fee by $50 for nonmembers in order to increase our membership. Our next general membership meeting will be Nov. 17 from 6 to 8:30 and hosted by Intel in the JFCC building at 2111 NE 25th, Hillsboro. Our guest presenter will be David Coleman, an electrical design group leader at Intel. See our Web site for specific details and directions. RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK The RTP chapter is just getting underway and we are looking for designers in the area who are interested in helping to form the chapter or becoming members. We are planning to have our kickoff meeting sometime in the fourth quarter. Details will soon follow. Contact Steve Trasatto at Ericsson (see index) if you have an interest in joining. SMOKY MOUNTAIN (Knoxville) (1) Next meeting: Nov. 18 Topic: Chapter organization/industry trends Location: Philips Consumer Electronics Twenty enthusiastic area PCB designers and several visitors from other areas attended the chapter kickoff meeting Sept. 23. Following an informal pizza/social hour, Hadco's Joe Gibson, president of the Atlanta chapter, gave a presentation on the Designers Council. A group discussion on chapter organization, designer certification, and the benefits of having a local chapter followed the presentation. Special thanks to Gibson, Hadco, CTI-Pet, Printed Circuit Design, and IPC for helping to make our first meeting successful. Our November meeting will continue to deal with organizational details and will feature a talk by Ronda Faries, editor of PCD, on future trends in the electronics industry. See our Web page for more details (www.ipc.org/smchap/). Contacts for the chapter: Tom Martin, ASE Technologies USA (423-670-3126; [log in to unmask]); Bill Gilman, Radio Systems Corp. (423-777-5404, ext. 246; [log in to unmask]); John Becker, Philips Consumer Electronics (423-521-3112; [log in to unmask]). SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN (1) Next meeting: Nov. 4 Topic: EDA presentation Location: Farmington Public Library Meeting time is 7 to 9 p.m. We are planning to have a representative from Accel EDA demonstrate the bells and whistles that go beyond the "basic cable" model of its product.   SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND (15) Next meeting: Oct. 6 Location: Connie's (Derby) SOUTH JERSEY (1) Next meeting: Nov. 9 Topic: New technology - trends and innovations Location: Formation Inc. The November presentation will include a comprehensive overview of modems and various transmission technologies. This discussion will cover a broad spectrum of transmission technologies, choices, speeds, and costs. The pros and cons of each will be covered in detail. SPACE COAST (6) At our last meeting, Sept. 24, we had a technical presentation on IPC-2222 type 5 and 6 boards. Door prizes were given away to paid members. The meeting was sponsored by Graphico.