TECHNET Archives

September 1999

From:
James Patten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:34:43 -0700
Ooops. Yeah I guess I took this string off on a tangent with my prototype
question. My shortcomings are that I sort of get impatient and "jones" for
the actual data (...since I figured I had a captive "supplier" audience). My
apologies.

William, et al, thanks for the reply on the rapid-turns.
Yeah, we "claim" to use standards (I've been at other companies that make
the same claim). But we are not always as informed as we claim AND
technology changes rapidly -- you said it: "... idea of getting the entire
supply chain involved at the product development level..." I figure I'd get
it right from the horses mouth. As well I'd like to comment on one of your
comments about end-use. You said: "We tend to believe that everything is
going into something critical and try to provide the best board possible all
of the time." I think I know what you mean -- First, WE absolutely (and very
carefully) consider certain designs more critical than others based on their
end-use. Based on a reply by Keith Larson stating:"Most reputable quick turn
fabricators are producing all product at Class 3, but not running the
microsections necessary unless they are actually certifying to Class 3." Is
this what you mean? With all respects, do you see that we WANT you to
differentiate only if it's cheaper. We want you to spend adequate time/money
on Class3 end-use because LEO, MEO and GEO orbit is a prohibitively long,
lonely journey for a service call. However, my bench testset is not
subjected to the same end-use rigors as the former, and therefore don't care
that you'd only spent 2 days in fab and charged a few hundred bucks. Test
sets donot experience random vibration or require CTE matching or
hyper-qualified materials and therefore can be all the stuff you stock.

One thing that I can share from my experience in electrical design
engineering community that you may not be aware of (maybe I'm naive), is
that for many years our engineering ONLY built what we call brass-boards or
wire-wraps (money out of your pocket) for proof of concept on a complicated
circuit. With the advent of sophisticated software and board suppliers that
can produce rapid turn-around, we've now swung over to having MLBs replace
the cumbersome wire-wrap technology. BUT, it has to be cheap because we are
going to cut and paste the hell out of the board by the time we debug our
circuits. I've always felt the IPC product classification is such an elegant
solution to ANY ambiguity on what the customer wants from the supplier.