TECHNET Archives

September 1999

From:
Sherry Goodell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:22:38 -0400
Hello,
I am glsd you found the information useful.

By a solder ball in the via hole, I think you mean a solder deposit in the
hole, that takes the shape of a ball and is frequently raised above the
surface of the panel? This condition is typical when you have a partially
filled via hole at HAL.  Solder fills the cavity, and the air tries to blow
it out, but it cannot because there is soldermask blocking the hole.  This
forms what we call a coke bottle effect and the air becomes turbulent.  The
solder that is not removed, forms a natural ball shape as the surface
tension of the solder pulls the solder to itself.

The way to overcome this is for the fabricator and end user to work together
and allow the via holes to be open at HAL.  They can be plugged after HAL if
need be.