TECHNET Archives

September 1999

From:
Nils de Caluwe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:52:05 +0100
"Furrow, Robert Gordon (Bob)" wrote:

> In my experience number 4 is the biggest issue.
>                 4: the 'us' and 'them' syndrome (lack of appreciation or
> understanding
> > between disciplines of designers/layout people, bare board manufacturers
> >
> > and assembly manufacturers)
> We have fairly good communication between design and manufacture and what we
> feel is very good DFM and DFT guidelines that are widely utilized. However,
> the design groups are under very different pressures then the assemblers.
> Time to market has become an overriding issue. When a design does not meet
> DFM or DFT, we frequently hear that the product cycle does not permit
> redesign, or in many cases the circuit design must not change as it is the
> only way to achieve the functionality required. Being from the assembly
> side, there is little that can be communicated that will change those
> positions, even if the design is introducing known assembly issues. The best
> an assembler can do is document the impact at assembly and try to convey the
> importance of DFM and DFT guidelines. The unfortunate side of it is that a
> lot of shop and engineering resources are spent trying to work around a
> known DFM violation. I realize my opinion is biased and as I say, design has
> a different order of priorities than assembly. It is easy to state that the
> priorities should be the same, but in my experience it just does not happen
> that way.
>
> Thanks,
>              Robert Furrow
>              SMT Process Engineer
>              978-960-3224

Hiya Bob,

It sounds like you are not being involved from the start of the product
development process but that you are providing guidelines hoping that they will
be used but knowing that they will be ignored if they conflict with
functionality? No team work with all sides involved from the start then..is it
still only a few companies that implement CE practices such as cross functional
teams and involvement of people from manufacturing companies during product
design review meetings?

When you provide the information on impact of design decisions to your
customers, do you indicate the extra costs or the extra time needed to actually
assemble the boards? Do you think these issues are communicated to the right
people or are they prone to be handed over to individual designers who haven't
got the power to change their time schedule even if that means that time and/or
money will be saved further down the line?

IOW, who are the 'us' and who are the 'them' in the scenario? If designers are
too pressurized to allow good use and application of DFM/DFT, does this mean
management should plan differently and allow more time for a design to be
completed? It sounds like there is more of a structural problem with time and
planning than a lack of communication between design and manufacturing...

Let me know if you think I'm going off in the wrong direction here...

Nils

--
Nils de Caluwe
Ing.

Department of Aeronautical, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
The University of Salford
Salford, Manchester, M5 4WT, United Kingdom
Newton Building, Manufacturing Lab.
Tel: +44 - 161 - 295 4562 Fax: +44 - 161 - 295 5575
Website: http://www.salford.ac.uk/rdmm/ims/Midas1.htm