LEADFREE Archives

September 1999

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Abbott, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:31:31 -0400
The posts in response to Doug Romm's question on silver dendrite formation
do not seem to address the issue.  Maybe some elaboration is needed.

Years ago, c. 1978 and before, IC leads were plated with silver, this was
for through hole packages.  There was no post mold solder finishing required
and in fact the leadframe and component were Pb-free. However, some end
users saw silver dendrites or whiskers grow between adjacent leads that
resulted in lead shorting.  If I recollect correctly the growth was
facilitated by humidity and an electrical bias.  The dendrites are fine
filaments of silver that grow from a silver surface.  End users specified no
silver outside the plastic.  This phenomenom led to the silver spot plating
process with post-mold solder finishing, hot dipping or plating. Eliminating
silver from outside the package eliminated the dendrite growth outside the
package. (There were suggestions that there can be silver dendrite growth
inside the plastic, but with the large number of silver spot plated
leadframes in the field, this does not seem to be a valid issue.)

The question is: if there is silver on a component lead and it is tied up
metallurgically in a solder joint is there still a potential for silver
dendrite growth?  Or, as in the case of tin whiskers does the silver have to
be present as pure or nearly pure silver with no adulteration?

Regards,
Don Abbott