DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:33:38 -0400
Adam,

I agree with Jerry's take on the issue.  We allow a lot of clearance 0.1" (2.54
mm) as we have found our through-hole wave soldering assembly houses have
problems gripping the boards.  Since we adopted that we have had no more
complaints.  Also, when it comes to handling the boards in anti-static board
racks, there needs to be at least one edge clear of components so the boards
will fit the slots of the racks.  It is these kinds of issues you need to
consider so look into your assy & test handling procedures and see that
all their needs are satisified if you can.  Of course, those that use break-away
type assy don't have these problems to deal with.  We don't use that kind of
processing.

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments L.L.C.
Electro-Optics for Industry & Science