DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:47:26 -0400
Ron,

AMPs are still AMPS and of course at RF frequencies, skin effect dominates.
Unless you are designing a high power circuit, I can't imagine that the
difference is measurable.  I iwould think that the width of the traces is much
more critical (as is distance from ground plane through the board) as that
effects capacitance and capacitive reactance and ultimately impedance.
Capacitance should dominate over the resistive term UNLESS the trace width is so
narrow that the RF resistance (skin effect) is raised.  Do you have software or
nomograms to assist you?  I'm sure they exist to design traces and PCBs for a
broad range of frequencies.

This is not something you want to guess at (or leave it to answers from a
forum).

Bob Landman
H&L