DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mark Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:50:10 +0100
Thanks for the replies Jack and Dee

I appreciate that boards are getting denser, and part of my problem is that
many
of my footprints were created for high speed video boards where space is at
premium, and produced at fairly low volume. However, most of my current
boards
are for the lighting industry and tend to have a mixture of high power
components
and signal level sections. The high power stuff is determined to a large
extent by
the current requirements, but on the signal side I often get comments about
the
pads sizes looking a bit small. I am confident that they meet the IPC
requirements,
but I would be much happier if I could produce some sort of documentation
that
proves they will solder well.

I am trying to produce some company guidelines which is why I am going back
to 'first principles' to try and obtain the current facts and figures to
back up our
methods.

Again, I would be most interested in any information from anyone out-there
regarding pad sizes for the ideal solder joint (for through hole parts). I
know this
is a fundamental issue, but I just can't find and info on the subject.

Best regards,

Mark

Mark Holmes PCB Designer
Helvar Lighting Control