TECHNET Archives

August 1999

From:
Roger Massey-G14195 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:05:59 +0100
     Cecilia,

        Could be,
             From my paranoid time working in military hybrids, I would
     recommend storing as many things as possible in dry Nitrogen.  How old are
     the parts? are they stored in dry air (with a dessicant), or just in a "box
     on a shelf", if allowed to react with damp air, I guess its conceivable
     that the flux has undergone some form of reaction (maybe the flux supplier
     could comment (any one from Kester listening?)

        I dont know if it would make much difference, but could you try plasma
     or microblast cleaning the CBGA balls and trying the reflow agin?  or just
     use a different batch of CBGS? If none of these are available, you could
     always try the nasty Nitric-Acetic mix, although I dont recommend this for
     production it would suggest if there was something amiss with the solder
     balls on the CBGA  Just make sure you get all the solution off to ensure it
     does not cloud the results.  If that seems to do the trick, see about
     getting the BGA's reballed

        Keep trying, youll get there eventually

                Roger