TECHNET Archives

August 1999

Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:13:40 -0400
Dave,
my judgement is based on two facts Steve had told me on his e-mail: dull
solder joints and the cause of OA flux left on the joints for too long... In
this case, the joint dullness is caused by Pb rish oxide on the surface..
You may want to verify your self using XPS.. You can put the dull joints
caused by longer exposure of OA flux into a THB (Bias is important) along
with some Sn-rich oxide passivated joint and observe the difference
yourself... Sorry, no published data .. I am agree with you that visual
appearance have not much to do with the reliability... You can make a joint
look beautiful by hand solder of poor solderability parts, but the excess
heat may generate brittle intermetallic layer and cause reliability
issues...Look can be deceiving (like we usually make mistake daily in our
live by "look" ;-)...but not in this case in my opinion,...based on my
limited experience...

By the way, I am glad Steve is working there... I think the place need him
badly to "straight out" few things... eventually, would lead to cost
cutting...Good luck Steve...may the God be with you...

best regards,
                                jk