LEADFREE Archives

August 1999

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bund Martin-marbund1 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:45:57 +0100
If we look at the usage of "mission critical" applications what sort of
product are we talking about?

Consider, most (if not all) interconnections within aircraft (lets look at
the aerospace biz f'rinstance) are terminated using crimped connectors and
are in a "don't care" catagory with respect to environmental policy. Things
like engine controllers, LVDT controllers etc. in the likes of Boeing
aircraft represent a very small percentage of the overall mass or volume
(assemblies weighing 2Kg or less). None of these assemblies are what one
would term "special" requiring anything other than normal (for aerospace)
7-9 sigma controls during design/construction. None of the individual
components will be susceptable to even the worst case reflow temperatures
quoted as all of the components chosen are DEF STAN 883C or better assuring
working temperature of -55 to +125 deg C and in most cases immunity to high
ambient/process temperatures (can you imagine what would happen to an engine
controller populated with plastic devices strapped to an RB211 engine whilst
waiting for takeoff clearance at Delhi airport with 44 deg C ambient and
engine cowlings at 350 deg C+ above ambient and an assembly generating at
least 80 watts of heat internally). PCBs are commonly based around aluminium
laminated epoxy/fiber rather than FR4 so are again in the "don't care"
catagory regards both environmental and process issues. We then come down to
the reliability of the electronic assemblies. If, for example, we take a
standard process change like a component end of life. It commonly takes 5
years and upwards for the change to go from the planning, through proving
and eventualy to the production for this change. So in this we can see that
the "lead free" process changes will not happen until well after the 2004
date for implementation owing to the dramatic impact (the 5 year plan quoted
on occaision within the aerospace biz being best case for a simple change)
upon the qualification/ proving required.

Perhaps this model is not the best.

What then do we consider "mission critical". Space flight (including
satellites)? submarines and other toys of destruction? hospital equipment?

For hospital equipment (the only "mission critical" application that I can
think of note or merit here) we find that assemblies are not overly complex
(when compared to something like a TV studio), readily ammenable to
redesign, do not have prohibitively long qualification plans and are placed
within a marketplace with, historically, a high markup. This all lends
itself to an easier process change and traditionally has the funding for any
product respin.

I for one will not greive if the trident missile programme, submarines,
tanks etc. have to be scrapped because suitable alloys can not be found.

Where next then? If anyone can suggest a "mission critical" application that
does not involve prolonged product design, proving and testing then I
believe we would have grounds for concern.

For our part we have always subscribed to ALT testing including temperature
cycling, vibration and thermal shock as part of our qualification
procedures. This is also backed by investigations by process engineers
component engineers and statistical analysis of production efficiency. This
is not always possible and, in many ways, is dependant upon the resource
available to the process owner but much of the data gleaned from our
investigations will be fed back into the knowledge pool via component
suppliers, forums and the inevitable migration of staff through related
industries.

What is left is, to me, an apparent lack of coordination regards any proving
of the lead free process and other environmental initiatives. It seems to be
politically expedient to raise issues and propose corrective actions to
counter the last three hundred years of environmental suicide but little
thought has been proposed regards leadership and funding of research and
implementation. Some efforts are being made at a local level by the likes of
NPL, IPC and ITRI and indeed the forums are now starting to percolate
through the scientific and industrial communities. What is required is
positive and definitive support by the legislative bodies on a world wide
basis so that the improvement of our living conditions does not become a
criteria by which individual companies increase sales and profit margins on
so called "green" gimmicks.

My soap box is beyond repair, anyone got a replacement?

Regards,
Martin.