TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
Geoff Layhe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:40:20 +0100
Hi Ron,
There has been some bad press regarding flame retardents, specifically
Bromine, in the UK over the years. Initially it was thought that
brominated flame retardents could produce "super toxins" when burned.
This was disproveed. The issue of flame retardents was recently raised
again by the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations a
European directive which sought to ban lead and bromine from the
electronics industry.
Most of the scientific evidence so far suggests that we are better
served by having flame retardents than not having them.

More information can be found at
                                www.bsef.com
                                www.firesafety.org

The Department of Trade and Industry in the UK has recently commissioned
a report on flame retardents. The summary can be found on
www.surrey.ac.uk/PRC/

Section 7.3 Of the report states

"Examinations of toxicology of 6 of the more common flame retardents
used in consumer products indicates that in general they do not pose any
significant threats to human life or the environment".

Having said all that, most if not all of the laminate manufacturers can
manufacture epoxy/glass laminates with no flame retardents.
Hope the information is useful.

Geoff Layhe
thanks to alun morgan of isola for the details