TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:44:45 +0100
I am sorry if I upset you over what you think I meant to imply.
I suppose you are refering to my remark
"... So the first thing to do is read the data sheet on your particular one
as if you were a lawyer. See just what is specifically stated on performance
and not what the words leave you to expect...."   ??

What I meant by this is best illustrated by example. Suppose I were to write
:
"outstanding thermal performance" in a data sheet entitled "unfilled acrylic
adhesive".

This would be a true statement if say the thermal conductivity or
temperature withstand were significantly better than the norm for unfilled
acrylics. However it would not mean that the user should automatically
expect outstanding thermal performance in whatever aspect his application
happened to be or specifically need. It's a relative claim in the context of
the data sheet not an objective statment of fact. A lawyer would point this
out (for a small fee).
Specifications have to be objective verifiable statements and can be
compared. Finally it would seem prudent to base expectations on the minimums
claimed/stated rather than hoping you would always hit the maximums.

I hope this makes things clearer as it wasn't my intention to suggest that
suppliers set out to deliberately mislead users. I suppose this all goes to
show how careful you have to be with words rather than numbers.....

Mike Fenner
BSP, OX15 4JQ, England
T:+44 1295 722 992
F: +44 1295 720 937