TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
Jack CrawfordAOL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:55:49 EDT
Following is posted for my AOL account because the IPC e-mail system is not
working today.  s/Jack Crawford, IPC Director of Assembly Standards and
Technology

Dear Colleagues:

We have been advised that a user has posted a msg to the Technet within the
last 24 hours that has an attachment of "Happy99.exe".  This is the carrier
of the very damaging Melissa virus and must NOT be executed under any
circumstances.

Because of our internal computer outage, I cannot access our archives but the
subject line of the msg is reported to contain the words "laminate and
prepreg", and the apparent sender was [log in to unmask] We are
attempting to contact that sender to advise of our concern.

As a reminder, you should never open or execute any attachment when you do
not know the sender!

Please be assured that we are taking every step we can to correct this issue.

Jack