TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
george franck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:56:36 -0400
Another cause of photoresist adhesion problems is metal contamination of the
photoresist.  This occurs at the coating mill.  I believe DuPont contracts
with a coating mills to do this work in different regions of the world.  In
other words, the coating may not be done by DuPont.

By Coating I mean the process of spreading the liquid photoresist between
the two layers of plastic, and rolling it on a tube.

This problem was verified by my company in a past life using a SEM to detect
the Metal in the resist.  DuPont never admitted the cause of the problem was
theirs until we confronted them with SEM data. I was pretty upset that
DuPont blamed my shop for the adhesion problem (and every other shop in the
area), when the KNEW it was their film.  For me, it was an excellent chance
to try materials from other suppliers.  This was many, many years ago.  I am
sure DuPont has changed in many ways since then.

How can metal contamination in the film cause poor adhesion?  Glad you
asked!
In the Photoresist there is an adhesion promoter.  It is a long organic
chain with one end of the chain that really likes metal.  When the adhesion
promoter sees the copper on the board... it grabs and holds on to it.  Now
when there is metal in the photoresist, the adhesion promoter grabs onto the
metal in the film, and NOT the copper on the board.

George Franck
Raytheon Systems
Falls Church VA
"My Opinions are just that."
.... as are my feelings and past recollections... Raytheon just doesn't have
anything to do with them.  Really!... Just ask one of their Lawyers.