TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
Stephen Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:06:34 +0000
I am attempting to screen print resistive carbon ink over a large area of a PCB, for reasons I will not go into now. Under the carbon ink are tracks and via's which must be insulated from the ink, this is currently being achieved by plugging the via's with an epoxy and printing two layers of photo imageable soldermask.

The reason I am posting this question to the sig is that the process described above is producing low yields. Does anyone in sig land have any innovative suggestions to resolve this problem.

TIA

Steve

P.S. Ideas currently under consideration

Use dry soldermask instead of photo imageable (out of favour, at least in the UK)

Replace the soldermask with a polymide covercoat (as used on flexible PCB's) - not sure that the carbon ink will adhere to its shiny surface.

Use a thicker carbon ink to reduce the risk of the carbon ink getting into where it shouldn't.

Any ideas welcomed !!
Scientific Generics Limited  Tel: +44 1223 875200
Harston Mill                 Fax: +44 1223 875201
Harston                      http://www.generics.co.uk
Cambridge CB2 5NH
United Kingdom
Registered in England No 2081960