LEADFREE Archives

July 1999

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Holly Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:32:51 -0400
>Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:20:05 -0400 (EDT)
Dear Compliance and Leadfree Netters:

Please see the press release below on EPA's proposal to lower the Toxic
Release Reporting reporting threshold for lead to 10 pounds!  The current
reporting threshold is 10,000 pounds for use, 25,000 pounds for manufacture
(i.e., incorporation into product).  Clearly, the regulatory burdens
associated with lead use are continuing to grow.

The IPC will likely submit comments opposing this proposal.  We need to
understand how this will impact our members.  Will it trigger TRI reporting
for some members for the first time?  Will it increase your regulatory
burden?  Please e-mail comments directly to me at [log in to unmask]

Regards

>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>From: GROUP PRESS 202-260-4355 <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: EPA PROPOSES TO EXPAND THE PUBLIC'S RIGHT TO KNOW ABOUT LEAD
>

>     !/EPA PROPOSES TO EXPAND THE PUBLIC'S RIGHT TO KNOW ABOUT LEAD/SCROLL
>     FOR RELEASE:  THURSDAY, JULY 29, 1999
>
>     EPA PROPOSES TO EXPAND THE PUBLIC'S RIGHT TO KNOW ABOUT LEAD
>

>         In another step to expand the public's right to know about toxic
>chemicals released into local
>
>     communities, EPA is proposing to require significantly more public
>reporting by industry on lead emissions.
>
>         EPA Administrator Carol Browner said, "Increasing the public's right
>to know about toxic releases into the
>     environment and protecting this nation's children are among the Clinton
>Administration's top priorities. Childhood lead
>     poisoning still adversely  affects the health of almost one million
>children a year in this country.  Today's action is
>     another step in our efforts to combat lead poisoning by ensuring that
>the public has access to critical information about
>     toxic chemicals in their comminutes."
>
>         EPA is proposing to lower the threshold for reporting on lead under
>its Toxic Release Inventory because lead
>     remains in the environment for long periods of time and is toxic to
>humans, especially children. Children and developing
>     fetuses are known to absorb lead more readily than adults, and, once in
>the body, lead is distributed to the blood, soft
>     tissue and bone. Children exposed to lead can suffer from damage to the
>brain and central nervous system, slow growth,
>     hyperactivity, and behavior and learning problems. Adults exposed to
>lead can suffer difficulties during pregnancy, high
>     blood pressure, nervous disorders and memory concentration problems.
>
>         Currently, facilities are not required to report their lead and lead
>compound releases to the air, water and land
>     unless they manufacture or process more than 25,000 pounds annually or
>use more than 10,000 pounds annually. These high
>     thresholds severely limit the reporting of lead and lead compounds.
>Under today's proposal the reporting thresholds would
>     be lowered to 10 pounds per facility per year and substantially
>increase the amount of information made available to the
>     public.  This action would potentially increase reporting of public
>information under the Toxic Release Inventory Program
>     by about 13 percent, or about 15,000 reports.
>         A 45-day comment period will begin upon publication of the proposed
>rule in the Federal Register on or about Aug.
>     2, 1999. A copy will also be available at:  http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr
>or by calling 1-800-553-0202.  General information
>     about lead is available at:  http://www.epa.gov/lead.  General
>information about the Toxics Release Inventory is available
>     at:  http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/tri.
>

>     R-87                                 ###

Holly Evans
Vice President of Government Relations
IPC
2600 Virginia Ave., Suite 408