TECHNET Archives

June 1999

From:
Jerry Cupples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:18:48 -0500
Ed Cosper asked:

>     Hi all,   I have a drawing requirement that gives me the  option to
>use electroless ni/au in a contact area with recessed fingers.  However,
>the option requires for a  " electronic contact grade  corrosive barrier
>lubricant" to be used.   Now, this is new to me. Is this a type of
>surface coating to protect the electroless gold surface.  anyone every had
>this requirement before? If so, what are they referring to, How is it
>applied,  and where to I get it.   Any help is greatly appreciated.
>Sincerely,   Ed Cosper American Board Co.ls for

Such lubricants help to preserve the base metals underneath porous noble
metal finishes.

Ref: Bellcore GR-78-CORE Issue 1 Paragraph 4.1.4.1 Lubrication of Noble
Metallization
2% Polyphenyl Ether in solution applied by dip, spray or brush.
Monsanto OS-138 in naptha will meet the requirements (they specify a qual test
in paragraph 13.3.2). Monsanto OS-138 is a highly viscous synthetic oil
(six ring polyphenyl) with incredible stability, originally developed as a
lube for turbine engines.

Note that Bellcore is now "Telcordia Technologies" (yikes).

You could also call Nye Synthetic Lubricants in Fairhaven, MA
(508-996-6721) for support, they sell prepared solutions, and are familiar
with Bellcore and other requirements related to connector lubrication. Good
yankee types, I recommend them highly. This Company traces back to sperm
oil in the whaling era.

regards

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation