TECHNET Archives

June 1999

From:
Charles Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 18:20:47 -0500
Thanks to all who provided answers to my question about the thickness of
copper vs. it's "weight."

One more question: What are folks calling out for a spec on copper plating
in the hole?
.001" absolute minimum?
.001" min with isolated spots of .0009" acceptable?
.001" min with isolated spots of .0008" acceptable?

Our application is in the field.....anywhere in the world; marine
applications, land applications, bouncing around in the back of a truck
driving off-road, dabbled with by a field technician with various kinds of
re-work experience/equipment, seeing desert sun during the day and
sub-freezing temps at night, etc.

Has anyone done any recent research on what is or is not robust hole
construction considering today's plating technologies?

I am reworking our board performance spec. We need boards that are almost
to Mil-Spec/Class three reliability rating.  I think the board
manufacturing technology has been improving to the point that I would hope
we don't have to "over-kill" with a tight spec to get reliability. (And pay
excessive $$$!)  We are certainly willing to pay what we must pay, but, if
we are not careful, we could drive ourselves into a belly-up situation if
costs are not controlled.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Anyone care to share a sample of their
PWB performance spec with me? [Hey I don't want to re-invent the wheel.   :
> }  ]

TIA

Charlie Barker
Input/Output, Inc.