TECHNET Archives

June 1999

From:
"West, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:22:54 -0400
Hi all,

I need some help on understanding conductive adhesive.  I have an
application that involves a membrane switch made of polyester.  We have a
resistor in line with one of the traces that is attached by the conductive
adhesive.  The problem I see is possibly the resistor pulling away from the
adhesive causing intermediate readings.  Since the polyester is flexible, we
had the company that makes the switch apply a thicker piece of polyester to
act as a stiffener.  But I believe this may not be good enough to support
the resistor.  I looked under a microscope and saw that there was a small
gap between the resistor and the adhesive and I used a tool to push on the
adhesive and was surprised that it was soft in texture.  Does all conductive
adhesive remain soft or is there others that would harden?  Maybe with the
polyester being so flexible you need the same from the adhesive.  Also, the
switch company applies the resistor by hand and basically the adhesive gets
smashed out under the switch.   How good is conductive adhesive when it
comes to adhering to the resistor?  It's nothing like solder that flows to
create a good bond.  I'm not sure how I can tell if I have a good
connection.  If any of you have any insight on this subject I would
appreciate your help.  Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jim West
Manufacturing Engineer