TECHNET Archives

May 1999

From:
Sean Hager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 13:33:12 -0700
I have always looked at page 56, and the special conditions that apply when
leads are clipped, as a strong "hint" to avoid lead cutting at almost all
costs.  Why else would it be "required" that  you either inspect all leads
at 10X or reflow all cut leads?  And the statement "evidence of fracture"
is wide open to interpretation.  I think your clear challenge is to find an
effective way to pre-trim/pre-form any application that allows you to avoid
post-solder cutting.  I am confident you will hear from others who have an
extremely effective trimming operation.  Remember though, this is the
exception.  I still find it unlikely that any manufacturer can do this
without producing at least some "evidence of fractures".

Just an opinion,
Sean

PS. It wasn't quite clear whether you were soldering these wires into a PCB
or another application.  If these stranded wires are soldered into a PTH
application, you will also need to consider the strict controls required to
do this in a repeatable and reliable manner.  Please reply if you'd like to
open this discussion also.