TECHNET Archives

March 1999

Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:18:21 -0800
Paul,

In defense of my previous comments.  My argument in favor of piping the
"filtered" wavesolder exhaust outside of the building is that NO FILTER
OR CARBON ABSORBER can make pure clean air out of your wavesolder
exhaust or mine.  To believe the government defined TLVs for this stuff
is very naive.  Just look how they lower the limit every few years. I
don't think the lead is getting more toxic. Do you?

If you are not venting your treated and filtered exhausts outside of
your building then you could be putting your employees health and safety
at risk.  Why put their health at the mercy of some maintenance
technician and some vendor who sold you the system?  OK so you checked,
and the air passed the industrial hygienists air sample.  Do you know
exactly how long the filter will last?  Do you have a continuous
monitoring system?  How do you know when the filter has been installed
with the gasket seal on the wrong way?  How do you know that when you
get laid off that the person who inherits your system will have your
same value system?  I'm sorry but I don't believe the experts who tell
me that .005% of a carcinogen is OK to breathe every day.

Trying to portray us as pollution mongers is absurd. Like most people, I
drive to work every day.  Unless you ride a bike or walk you are making
a decision to pollute the environment.  Now you must decide how much is
too much.  In everything we do at Six Sigma we go well beyond the
regulations when it comes to protecting the environment.

I'm sorry if our humor has been misunderstood.  Please don't see it as a
"don't care" attitude about the planet we live on.

Regards, Russ Winslow

Six Sigma
1940 Concourse Drive
San Jose, CA  95131