TECHNET Archives

February 1999

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:07:56 EST
In a message dated 01/31/99 10:58:01, you wrote:
> [...]

Hi Bob,
As usual, things are more complicated than can be put in short e-mail
messages. Reliability—and what it means and doesn't mean—has to be put into
perspective.
The solder material is in the total reliability scheme a second-order
(affecting reliability by orders of 2 to 3X) variable. More important first-
order parameters affecting reliability in the order of 10X are component size,
delta-CTE, delta-T, solder joint height, lead stiffness.
As a consequence, other solders may be a factor of 2 to 3 less (or more)
reliable than Sn/Pb solders, which in many applications would never show up
because of benign use environments or other load reducing parameters. Further,
solder joint failures have a rather wide statistical distribution which with
an insufficient number of samples and less than impeccable testing techniques
makes order of 2X differences disappear in the noise. To rely on field data
and anectodal industry experience is very dangerous unless you know all the
details; I still recall the essentially impossible task of getting properly
documented field failure data to make any sense out of when at Bell Labs. I
worked 24 years at Bell Labs Whippany in the Interconnection Reliability Lab
and got out in early 1990 when the going was good. If it coundn't be done at
Bell Labs, I doubt it was possible elsewhere; my consulting experiences over
the years certainly have reinforced that opinion.

Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL  32174  USA
Phone: 904-437-8747, Fax: 904-437-8737
E-mail: [log in to unmask]