TECHNET Archives

February 1999

From:
Russ Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:29:20 -0500
Oops.  My picture was goofed up with text running through it.  Sorry.  Here,
I fixed it.

Steve -  YES, I've seen a similar design, in fact I "laid one out"
s-i-m-i-l-a-r, but the
entire PCB began as a 4-layer board.  I designed (actually re-designed) 9
PCB's that were produced in a single array, all 9 PCB's were (of course)
fabricated at the same time.  Some of the daughter boards were required to
be 2-layers, others 4-layers.  Some of the 2-layer sections had been in
production as 2-layers and had been certified as 2-layer, I was not allowed
to "add" layers to those PCB's, when this panelization scheme came up.  The
"staple wires" were put in beetween main and various daughter boards in such
a way that the interconnections were all made using bare ~.028 dia lead
wire.   After wave solder, cleaning and testing, the array was de-panelized.
Then, the wires between boards were formed using a fixture.  When the board
jumpers were formed, this entire 3D Frankenstein-like assembly held it's
shape and was installed, as one unit, into the housing.  The savings in that
case were realized not by making "less square inches" of the 4-layer, but by
the combined savings of having only 1 PCB tooled, vs. 9; processing one
panel through assembly, instead of nine.  This concept was not mine, but it
sure seemed like a good idea.  But, an ECO to one was an ECO to all, and
replacement PCB's needed to be cut from array's or tooled separate as
replacement parts. Let me try to illustrate, (I realize these characters may
"wander" around in your e-mail viewer, but here goes):

___________________________
|      -------+----+----+----+-----+------     |
|      |   __ |___|___|___|___|__   |      |
|      |  |     +     +      +     +     +   |   |      |
|      |  |__________________|   |      |
|      |_____________________|     |
|__________________________ |
This example has only one daughter bd with "staples" connecting
it to the "main" bd, which it is cut from.  My design was about 9" X 12".
We cut our temporory connector tabs from between daughter bds
with one of those new-fangled water knives.  ...but in my case, there were
9 daughter boards, a mix of 2L and 4L, fabricated by simply eliminating
inner and outer layers in each section as we desired.  Did that make
sense?....
(That was a fun project)   Don't know how production success was. Regards,
Russ

Russ Steiner, CID
National Sales Manager   Controls/inc.
1 Technology Way     Logansport, IN 46947
Voice 248 887-2970     Fax 248 889-9532
Contract manufacturing with a unique feature... Comfort.