TECHNET Archives

February 1999

Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:51:19 EST
I will leave it to others to come back on specifics based on their current
experiences, the most helpful suggestion I have overall is to keep in mind,
and as the background to all your decisions, is:

No clean is a much more  critical process than using a strong flux and
cleaning it off.

What is a strong flux? Almost any which is not a no clean.
A more critical process is one where all your process windows are smaller and
therefore all variations - controlled or uncontrolled/unknown -  become much
more critical/sensitive. So on this basis the answer to nearly all your
questions is yes.
You have to have a much better understanding of all the things that could go
wrong because they are more likely to. On this basis a pragmatic response is
to reduce the number of things you have to try to understand by having less of
them. ie not 8 solder resists........ Also board finishes, storage, process
parameters, components, layouts, etc etc etc.

And the good news:
You are not the first to go down this route and can therefore benefit from the
cumulative experiences of your predecessor Technetters.

I suggest your suppliers should also be near the top of your list to tap for
advise and recommendations. The quality of their reponses will help determine
who you want to work with as you change over to make the best informed
decisions for your line. Also later on no way do you want adversary situations
when you start to have inevitable startup problems.

Hope this helps.

In a message dated 29/01/99  11:36:56AM, you write: