TECHNET Archives

January 1999

From:
David D Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:13:03 -0600

Hi Paul - I suggest you run a Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM-EDS)
and/or Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) analysis of the red-brown rust
like residue. The number of times I have run into Pb oxide it has been
dark-to-light gray in appearance. The rust like residue could be flux,
something in your wash system, copper oxidation, your wash system reacting
with another area on the assembly and depositing around the solder joints,
etc. Visual appearances can be very misleading - get some analysis data to
save time/cost on developing a solution eliminate the residue. Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Paul Wareham <[log in to unmask]> on 01/15/99 03:00:29 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
      to Paul Wareham <[log in to unmask]>