TECHNET Archives

December 1998

From:
"Alderete, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:22:02 -0800
Below are the responses I received to my question about the mixing of
hi-temp and eutectic PbSn solders.

Thanks to Dave, Bill, Paul, and Andy for their responses, numbered [1]
through [4] below; my original question is included at the end of this
message.

After reading the replies, I'm a bit uneasy about allowing these 2
alloys to mix and reflow in an "uncontrolled" manner. We want to use the
hi-temp alloy on this particular joint, so I'll recommend removal of the
eutectic preform, and complete the subsequent clip lead attachment using
the hi-temp solder (probably Sn10/Pb90, AND NOT 90-94% Sn, as stated in
the original posting).

If anyone else wants to take a stab at explaining what happens when the
two alloys mix, please send a posting to TechNet. The 3 days of mid-80F
temps we are now experiencing are purely coincidental.

Best Regards,
Michael Alderete

[1] Dave Hillman Wrote...