TECHNET Archives

October 1998

From:
Bridget Piper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:12:09 +0100
Hi All,
We are about to place some BGA's but have very little practical
experience in this technology (although we are about to embark on
a very steep learning curve, me thinks!).
However, we have a difference of opinions about the pro's and
con's of putting via's under the pads of BGA's. Many of you will
have come across this scenario, so I would be grateful for some
feedback from your experience.
Do they rob the solder?
Are they useful for proving the process?
Do they cause problems, and if so what?
Is it better practice to put via's into an adjoining pad, rather
than under the ball?
etc. etc. etc. etc..........
Your feedback please.
Thanks,     Bridget.