DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 1998

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Davis Ben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 06:31:22 -0500
More thoughts on schematic and DRC errors:

Sometimes your EDA system is just too complex (or not complex enough
depending on how you look at it!).  For instance Mentor Graphics shows
DRC errors when in fact none exist.  An example - text. MGC sees a piece
of text as a rectangular box and if you cut the corner of that box (even
if the letter is an "o" or "i") it will flag an error.  Another example
(for us) is coax connectors (5 pin where the 4 corners are ground,
middle is the signal).  MGC doesn't like the 4 corner pins connected (at
least the way our stuff is set up) so it flags an error.  It's just an
idiosyncrasy (sp?) of the system that you learn to live with and work
around.

I agree with Paul that the errors should be addressed and fixed if
possible.  If you don't address them you always run the risk, like
Abdulrahman said of having a real error in the midst of all the
"ignored" ones.  We really try to get all the errors out, but sometimes
it just ain't possible.

I really feel for you folks that have to use the "crappy" inputs.  At
least we can kick it back and say fix it or we won't do it.  Sometimes
it helps to have a boss with guts (at least part of the time).

later....

Ben Davis