TECHNET Archives

September 1998

From:
Paul Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:06:23 -0400
Hi Bill:

Greetings from a neighbor to the north.  Won't be long now before the snow starts to fly.  Hopefully El
Nina won't treat us too badly despite CDR Tom's warnings.

As for FAB instructions, it sounds like you imbed not only the fab instructions but ALL the traceability
possible in your drawing packages.

Here at Amherst, we are very explicit regarding the fab process documentation but we differ on the
traceablity issues.  We track document revisions on the front or title page and at the bottom of each
page.  The ECN documentation is held by document control and is referenced at the upper right corner of the
title page.

The title page of the AW package for the most part is where all the fab notes and special instructions go.
We include a fab drawing on the next page for use by the board vendor and our incoming inspection to pin
down the details of any milling, tooling hole locations,  fiducials, and overall board dimensions.  We use
PADs POWERPCB to add the notes.  We have a mechanical design department in charge of whipping up
dimensioned drawings of circuit card form factors in Autocad r14.  They typically provide us with dxf
output which we then import into PADs for the mechanical fab drawing.  The PWB artwork and drawing are
archived in gerber format.

For our in-house board assembly we don't include a flowchart.  Rather we structure the drawing in "levels"
of assembly.  It usually goes through SMT top, SMT bottom,  TH top and if applicable but hardly ever TH
bottom.  At each level, the smt line technician or board assembler and the in-process inspector is provided
with a complete detailed graphic representation of the board at the end of that level.  There also are
notes at each level giving special instructions on how to complete that level.  This CCA drawing, in
Autocad r14, is the responsibility of the mechanical design dept. with synergistic input from digital
design.  The production department uses proprietary database software from the digital design department to
program the smt line (pick and place).  Any manual final assembly processes are completed using the
aforementioned assembly drawing and a database to map PL item #s to reference designators.

I don't know what the current release of wordperfect is but I'm willing to bet that they may have Object
Linking and Imbedding capabilities (OLE) which can be used to essentially insert your documentation into
another application, like Autocad, like PowerPCB.  Linking your fab documentation to the assembly drawing
affords YOU the advantages of application familiarity and the power of a wordprocessor in conjunction with
a CAD package.  Also, not to besmirch assemblers BTW, but the assemblers also benefit from a more
"idiot-proof"  document package.

--
                        Have a Golden Day,

Paul Anderson