TECHNET Archives

September 1998

From:
Jay Solderberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 07:00:21 -0600
Bob,

The answer to your question depends somewhat on your supplier.  However, in general, most non-plated holes are drilled at the same time as the plated through holes. They are prevented from plating by tenting plating resist over them -- the
same resist that is used to form the circuitry image.   Large holes or non-plated holes with a pad right up to the edge of the hole can not be successfully tented.  These will require a second drill process.  This means that the drill
machine must be set up a second time just to drill a relatively small quantity of holes.

So, in most cases, your supplier only needs one drill file because that is all they will use.  It is probably easier for them to sort out the holes that need second drill on an occasional part number than it is to combine two drill files
for the majority of part numbers.   However, I'm sure they appreciate the fact that you asked and were trying to make their life a littel easier!

Jay Soderberg
Holaday Circuits

Legal Notice:  All opinions are mine and mine alone.  The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the management or ownership of this station.