TECHNET Archives

June 1998

From:
Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:13:04 -0700
I recently came across a group of board design engineers who insist that
press fit connectors are more reliable than thru hole soldered connectors.

Given all of the assemblies wavesoldered out in the field that haven't
failed, I have a hard time giving press fit a higher reliability rating.

Does anyone have conclusive data that documents this?

I realize that this assumes a board and process which meets all of the
required specs and the materials are all of acceptable quality.

A second question I have is what happens when the board is changed from
HASL to OSP.

Does the press fit hole size have to change, and does the OSP act like a
lubricant the same way that the solder in the hole has?

All comments are welcomed.

Phillip A. Bavaro
QUALCO/\/\/\/\  Incorporated
Senior Manufacturing Engineer