TECHNET Archives

May 1998

From:
SteveZeva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 08:12:12 EDT
In a message dated 05/11/98 2:56:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Jens Behrens writes:

>  Hi all,
>
>  no, I'm not serious - but I do have to say that TECHNET is sometimes too
>  active. Specially if you haven't checked your email for a few days and get
>  a few 100 messages.
>
>  I think it would make sense to split the mailing list in several sub lists
>  such as:
>
>  IPC standard related
>  wet processes
>  multilayer
>  photoimaging
>  laminate
>  etc......
>
>  Any comments?
>
>  Jens Behrens

Hi Jens,

     There was a discussion about this not too long ago as a matter of fact. I
for one don't want to see anything changed with the way the forum is now, it's
been in this format for years and I think does the job well.

     I'm suprized that I do see people wanting to change the format,
especially since how one gets their messages is all up to the individual.
I think sometimes people forget that this list is nothing but a dumb computer
program (but it IS moderated), and all you have to do is modify how you want
the dumb computer to send your messages to you. I don't know how many people
actually keep the FAQ that is sent when you subscribe, but all the commands
are there to set-up how you want your messages sent...and yes, there is a way
to set-up things so that your mailbox hasn't overwhelmed your hard-drive when
you go on vacation, it takes all of 30-seconds to do.

I'll post the commands from the FAQ for those that may have trashed them. You
can get this same list by sending a message to

In the body of the message type: FAQ

-Steve Gregory-

Administering your subscription status:

All commands (such as subscribe and signoff) must be sent to
[log in to unmask] . You must never try to send any command to mail forum
address (i.e. [log in to unmask]), as it will be distributed to all the
subscribers.

Also, please note that no other text, such as electronic signature, etc.,
should be present in the messages to [log in to unmask] If your email program
automatically appends your signature to the message, please remove it.

Example for subscribing:

TO:[log in to unmask]
SUBJECT:
MESSAGE:subscribe TechNet Joseph H. Smith

Example for signing off:

TO:[log in to unmask]
SUBJECT:
MESSAGE:signoff TechNet

NOTE: You must send messages to the forum address ONLY from the e-mail address
to which you want to apply changes. In other words, if you want to sign off
the mail list, you must send the SIGNOFF command from the address that you
want removed from the forum.

Additional Commands:

SET <forum name> <option>
Command enables/disables a specified option.

EXAMPLE:

TO:[log in to unmask]
SUBJECT:
MESSAGE:SET TechNet nomail

Please note that the commands, addresses and forum names are not case
sensitive, and you can send as many commands as you need in one message as
long as they are on separate lines.

The available options are as follows:

Query

This command returns your subscriber options. To be executed correctly, the
message must be sent from the address about which you are making a query.

The syntax is:

QUERY <forum name>

Also, wildcards are supported. For example, sending a command

QUERY *

will return a list of all forums to which you are subscribed, with all
subscriber options for these forums.

Mail/Nomail

Setting the NOMail option stops mail from the forum to you, but leaves you
subscribed to the list. NOMail is often used by subscribers who are leaving
the office for vacation or an extended business trip, and do not want a full
mailbox when they return.

Setting the Mail option is the complementary command that restarts mail
delivery from the forum to you. It does not alter the Digest/Index normal
delivery settings (see below).

For example, to temporarily disable mail delivery from TechNet to your
address, send the following command:

SET TechNet NOMAIL

Please note, if you use an auto-responder while on vacation without setting
your subscription options to NOMail, your "vacation" messages may bounce back
to the mail list and you may be "served off" from the forum when you return.
This is because the server will be unable to process the message from your
auto-responder and will consider it an error. Being "served off" simply means
that any commands you send to mail list will be ignored until the forum
administrator restores your normal status.

Digest/Nodigest

Setting the Digest option causes the subscriber to receive one e-mail posting
per digest cycle (typically daily) rather than individual messages as they are
processed by the mail list. Digest negates Index delivery mode, enables mail
delivery.

Setting the NODigest option causes individual messages to be sent to the
subscriber.

For example, to start receiving the TechNet messages in digest form, send a
following command:

SET TechNet DIGEST

Index/Noindex

Setting the Index option causes the subscriber to receive one posting per
digest cycle, containing only an index of subject topics for all messages
during that cycle. Instructions on how to retrieve the individual postings are
included with the index. Index negates Digest delivery mode and enables mail
delivery.

Setting the NOIndex option causes individual messages to be sent to the
subscriber.

For example, to start receiving TechNet messages in index form, send the
following command:

SET TechNet INDEX

This command allows you to search a database of all previous postings to the
specified forum. The syntax is:

SEARCH <search string> IN <forum name>

For example, to search TechNet for gold plating, send the following command:

SEARCH gold plating IN TechNet

Adding SINCE <date> after the forum name will impose the time constraints on
your search, i.e., command
SEARCH gold plating IN TechNet SINCE 97/01/01
will search all postings since January 1'st 1997.

ACK/NOACK

When you send a message, the server responds with a confirmation message,
saying that "your message was delivered to the forum, etc.", but, by default,
the copy of your message is NOT sent to you. In other words, when you send a
message to the forum, you do not receive it back as a posting. However, you
can change this default for yourself by setting following options:

ACK - A short confirmation message is sent to the sender of the posting
(default)
NOACK - No posting acknowledgment is sent

Repro/NORepro

REPRO - You receive a copy of your own postings
NOREPRO - You do not receive a copy of your own postings

For example, to receive both confirmation of the posting and the posting
itself for your TechNet submission, send a command:
SET TECHNET REPRO

To receive only your posting but not the posting acknowledgment:
SET TECHNET NOACK
SET TECHNET REPRO

THANKS

You can send this command to see if the server is alive, and the messages to
and from the server are delivered normally. The server politely responds,
"You're welcome!".

More features and functionality will be added later.

PLEASE NOTE: All of the commands, except your name under the "subscribe"
command, are NOT case sensitive; feel free to type them as you wish.