TECHNET Archives

May 1998

From:
Don Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 20:42:07 -0500
Michael:

In a former life I worked for a company with a captive hybrid manufacturing facility.  The pins you mention are indeed supplied on a reel with a strip of metal connecting the pins.  One, possibly the most common, substrate for thick film hybrid circuits is alumina.  The pins are usually
attached to the substrate after it is assembled and separated into individual circuits.  (Yes, they panelize too - all the way up to 6" X 6", sometimes bigger!)

The pins are attached to the substrate by a proprietary machine (supplied by the pin manufacturer) and are soldered to the substrate by dip soldering (usual method).  I realize that this may sound somewhat primitive to those readers involved in high technology electronic assembly, but that
is the way it is done.  I was quite surprised to learn of the parallels and differences between thick film hybrids and printed boards.

After that digression, I have to admit that I am writing this from home and do not have access to the name of the manufacturer of the pins.  If you require that information, please contact me privately, and I will obtain the supplier information for you.  I don't know if your requirement
can be met, but the pins are available in a variety of styles for both width and substrate thickness.  Normally, I would expect your assembler (often the thick film hybrid manufacturer) would have the source and tooling for these parts.  If you require passive or active trim of the
resistors, your assembler should have pin assembly and laser trimming equipment.

Don Vischulis