DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 1998

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 07:45:51 -0600
From:
Keith Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Geoff,

The following is a copy of the conversation Leonard and I had offline concerning the impact of via in pads on the assembly process. The technology is not what you would consider mainstream but is practiced by most of the leading edge fabricators and contract manufacturers. The
scenarios below have all been accomplished in real applications.

Any questions, please call.

Keith Larson
Circuit Technology Inc.
817-481-7281

Hi Leonard,

The assembly issue that has to be overcome is solder pulling down into the
hole from the joint during reflow. We have handled this in three ways:

1) Apply PPT Solid Solder Deposit to the bare board (adds about 5.00 to each
assembly)
2) Selectively apply extra solder paste to the pads with vias in them
(additional cost is based upon the number of vias affected)
3) Reduce the via size to the smallest available from your fabricator or go
to a blind via technology (bare board price increases and is again dependent
upon number of vias)

If you need additional info on the above or pricing impact on a specific design
just let me know.

Regards,

Keith