TECHNET Archives

January 1998

From:
annie laberge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:35:35 -0500
Hi Richi.

I am not shure I can help you but at least I can share with you what we are
experiencing over here: The same thing as you are.We have solder spot on
gold fingers  (We assemble PCBs).

The board is a double sided 0.062" SMOBC board with goldfingers( 30
microinches of gold over 100 microinches of Nickel) The assembly process
consists of screen printing of solder paste, pick and place SMT machines ,
Reflow, manual insertion of through hole
components and finally wave solder. The problem manifests itself after IR
reflow. There are tiny silverish/grey spots on the goldfingers, on solder
side and componant side.

What is strange is that we don't see any tendancy in terms of Manufacturers
or part numbers.  At least 6 manufacturers are involved with this issues,
and almost all part numbers has this issue on and off.

We also put Kapton tape BEFORE assembling to see if the problem comes from
the board or the process.  And after SMT assembly, we remove the tape and
find solder spot on gold fingers.  So it definitively comes from the PCB.
At incoming inspection, we don't see those solder spots  (the inspection
may not be as rigorous as on the assembly line).  What we think it could be
is tinny solder flakes on the boards which with manipulation fall on gold
fingers during assembly (before reflow oven).
We will investigate futher for this  point.

But if anybody can give us more input, it will be greatly appreciated.

ALaberge
Quality Eng.
Matrox Electronic systems

At 05:04 PM 1/29/98 EST, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>We are PCB manufacturers and seem to be having a enigmatic problem on one of
>our boards we manufacture for one of our customers.
>
>The board is a double sided 0.062" SMOBC board with flash gold goldfingers(
>1-3 microinches). The assembly process consists of screen printing of solder
>paste, pick and place SMT machines , Reflow, manual insertion of through hole
>components and finally wave solder. The problem manifests itself after IR
>reflow. There are tiny silverish/grey spots on the goldfingers. Suspecting
>that the spots were caused by solder paste particles which were either
>deposited because of contaminated equipment or degassing from the PTH causing
>splattering of solder paste we ran the next batch of boards using Kapton tape
>on the gold fingers. Unfortunately we saw the same spots again. The straw
>which broke the camels back was when a recent datecode boards fresh out of
the
>cartons were run without Kapton tape and exhibited the same symptoms.
>
>Our dilemma:
>
>We manufacture 30 P/Ns for this customer. The problem is only on this P/N.
The