TECHNET Archives

January 1998

From:
Ed Cosper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:19:59 -0600
Steve,

Based on your comment that you are having problems with only one board manufacturer, I would presume that this would imply you are processing other board shops products without problems. If this is in fact the case, I would question why you would be interested in spending the time and money to  perform failure analysis on your suppliers product. In most cases you will simply end up in a disagreement with your supplier and depending on how big an account you are with that supplier will dictate the response you get. I know many may take issue with that comment but we all know that's how it really works. Bottom line is that your supplier will perform a standard solderability test on there stock or possible a sample you sent back, if it passes then they will conclude that the problem is on your end and  nothing you say will convince them otherwise. After all, if they perform solderability testing in house and there samples keep passing I doubt they would change there process for one account ( unless your were a primary) if all their other customers are not having an issue.
I suspect you may have heard that response already.

If you want to keep dealing with that supplier, I recommend you request that they review there internal solder analysis. Most  shops perform solder analysis on there hot air level pots at least twice a month. You may even want to request that they allow you to review the last few test results.  I would look for high levels of copper . If their analysis is performed by an outside service, usually the report will indicated if the findings are high, High copper content can certainly affect wetting.  If your supplier cannot or will not produce the test results for you, I would then question there level of commitment to process control and whether or not this is a facility you want to be doing business with.

Bottom line is that if you are getting parts from other suppliers without problems, do you really want to spend the time and money on the one that is giving you the issues. That is a business decision you have to make as obviously there can always be other factors to consider.

Ed Cosper
Director, Quality Assurance and Engineering
Graphic Electronics Inc