TECHNET Archives

December 1997

From:
Jerry Cupples <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:32:12 -0600
Richard Hamilton posted:

>Although I am in the same 'boat' as it were, I have been pretty, no
>actually, very unsuccessful at finding any real data to confirm the
>component pricing trends. I have posted the same question here as well
>as two other Internet forums related to SM and Assembly. I will keep
>your email address handy should I get any response that may help, and I
>would appreciate the same from your end.
>
>TechNetters, please consider this a second request from me as well as a
>request from Yuan. The data has to be out there somewhere.
>
>Again, Thanks to all in advance!

and he quoted a similar earlier request:

It being near Christmas, I should be nice and offer plenty of kind and
helpful responses to your posted requests.

BUT, at this time of year, my own feelings (production support and
management) are more like those of E. Scrooge - trying to make the quarter,
ship those boards, tote that bale, and the d---d ISO auditor will be here
in early January. I'm already paddling my "boat" as fast as I can, so
"Humbug" is the real sentiment here, be warned.

You guys need to look for yourself first, then ask for help. Your requests
didn't sound very moving - much too general. What kinds of parts? logic,
RAM, microprocessor, PLD? Where did you look? Or did you just ask the world
a week or so back and not get a complete free answer via electronic
auto-response?

Here are some suggestions.

Make a list of the parts to buy/use based on what you are designing or are
already using. Strip it down to a list of your most popular 30 part
numbers, and list by generic part type (i.e. 74FCT244, 74ALS244, 74HCT244,
74LCX244, etc.). If you don't have a list, you will have trouble getting
any price numbers from anyone in the real world. Make up an imaginary BOM
if you must, but get some actual part numbers ready, first step - not to be
skipped.

Then, you can look on the web several places, try http://www.marshall.com/
which is a distributor site searchable by part number, and they will give
quotes from the site. Also, http://www.national.com/ is the National Semi
site, they did show the pricing and availability of various package styles.
Lastly, try http://www.digikey.com/ for similar disty info.

My impression is the newer logic types such as LCX (low power CMOS) are
only being offered in the SMT packages. Through hole is unquestionably on
the ramp down, and a minority portion of the market in 1997. In the past
few years, the mainstream semiconductor manufacturers are seemingly looking
for excuses (the famous mold compound shortage of a few years back) to drop
the DIP packages from their price lists, as these tend to be slower sellers.

Incidentally, most of the big semiconductor OEMS publish an annual "price
list" which shows the various packages offered and the "recommended
distributor resale" price. Moto publishes theirs on CR ROM, and it shows
all the package styles and the resale price. This price is sort of a high
trade price that just about anyone can get, and if you buy lots, you can
get discounts as high as 40-50% of those. You can call a local rep for
Moto, National, TI, etc. and get one of these easily.

I would also venture to guess that the pricing on _available_ parts in DIP
vs SOT or SSOP is pretty close, but that prices may actually be higher for
the DIP, as this sort of packaging is less commonly used by volume
producers. This is a guess on my part, you should confirm this if more
depends on it than a term paper.

If you are in the market for these parts, why not simply call your
distributors and ask them to do some research into pricing. In most cases,
they will do this if you provide a list with expected volumes.

So maybe Santa will grant your requests from a more generous source than
old Scrooge here, but at worst these are some "gift" suggestions to help
yourself with.

cheers,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation