TECHNET Archives

December 1997

From:
Tom Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:57:45 -0500
As you probably already know, the HP 7580B driver comes
built-in with Windows 95.

I checked both the plotter FAQ page at HP's Web site and
the latest MS Knowledge Base, but it seems like you're out
of luck for older HP-GL plotter drivers for NT.  It never ceases
to amaze me why drivers are generated for Win95--which is
supposed to be the home and office worker OS--and not for
WinNT--which is supposed to be the engineering/scientific OS.

Probably because the drivers are much tougher to write for WinNT,
but with the combination of working Win3.1 or Win95 source code
and sample WinNT printer driver source supplied in MS development
packages, you would think _somebody_ would do it.

The only way I can work efficiently is to have my NT4.0
system which runs some things great like Accel PCB and OrCAD
Capture, networked next to my Win95 system which is required
to run DOS/Win3.1 stuff like Xilinx FPGA tools, BP1200 PROM
burner drivers, PALASM, and Embedded system debug tools.

I also use my Win95 system as a print server, so I can run
stuff like my old RIPS board to output PostScript to my trusty
HP Series II printer for proofing plot files before committing
to Gerber.

I'd highly suggest you setup a similar arrangement.  Win95
when used as a print server can be effectively run on something
as mundane as a 386-25 with 8MB memory.  You can also run
Windows for Workgroups and use the Win3.1 driver.  WfWG
also makes a nice print server for a networked WinNT system.

By the way, be sure you set up the communications parameters
correctly and wire an adapter cable that connects the plotter's DTR
to your PC's CTS so hardware flow control can be used.  You can
find all the cabling and comm parameter setting details at

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/plotters/support_doc/bpp01402.html

the FAQ list for DesignJet plotters is at

http://www.hp.com/cpso-support/faq/plotter.html

and a list of compatible HP driver software for Win95 at

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/support_guide/support_doc/bpq04593.html

Good luck!