TECHNET Archives

November 1997

TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 23:36:46 -0600
     Dhawan,

     The depanelization method for the Array's lies solely on the type of
     product you are manufacturing and designing and the component types
     and layout (both sides).

     For example, if you are assembly Smart Cards or DIMM Modules then
     Routing and Scoring is preferred.  Since the routing is performed at
     the fab house it does not pose stresses on the solder joints.  Manual
     depanelization is not preferred, but also depends on the design.  I
     highly recommmend you use a Semi-automated or automated depanelizer,
     such as a CAB Maestro.  Which ever method you use, I recommended
     performing a strain gage test to determine the amount of stress
     applied to components solder joints near the card edge.

     Typically the score moves the X-Y stresses from the top surface
     towards the center, depending on the amount of material residual.  The
     Semi-automated depanelizer will seperate the cards via Pizza cutters
     (top and bottom) or one on top.  This method is clean and minimizes
     the stresses associated with manual depanelizing.

     At all possible avoid manual depanelizing, unless is is all through
     hole card.  I would also avoid tab or breakaway slots for the two
     products mentioned.  These methods are ok should the end product
     design be robust.

     Scoring is not also applicable when using Smart cards (aka PCMCIA).
     The type I, II, III cans offer little room for the mechanical
     engineering aspects.  You must account for the residual matrial left
     following scoring in your X and Y dimensions.  We have overcome these
     obstacals, but still something to consider.

     Hope this helps.

     John Gulley
     Inet Inc.
     972-578-3928