TECHNET Archives

November 1997

From:
Joe Wackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:43:08 -0800
Here are the responses to my post on axial part age. There was a related
post from John Gulley concerning the age of parts when they are received. I
don't yet have an answer from my purchasing dept on how old a part can be
when received. I suspect no one here has ever checked before. I think
sometimes we're just glad we have SOMETHING.

Just some background (so you'll remember 2 years from now when you read
this). We are a low volume, high mix facility. We make about 7500 PCAs per
month. We have about 150 different PCAs. I took a PCB inventory in 10/97
and found 5 products I want to obsolete, 4 that I want to reduce order qty,
and 13 with datecodes (DC) older than 12 months (10 of those were older
than 18 months). This actually was not to bad. I re-introduced the
workcells to First In First Out (FIFO) and purged some old stock. Not too
painful.

I then did an inventory of axial parts (we are quickly moving to surface
mount), and started to see some reel (pun intended) problems. Looks like in
the old days (late '80s) we ordered everything in 5000 reels (cheaper that
way!). Out of about 200 P/N I found 28 with no stock younger than 4 years.
I found one part 11 years old. Many parts in the 2-4 year range. I am
working on purging stock, changing our buying practices (qty), implementing
a re-order based on last date ordered (if we haven't bought it in two years
we need to!). We may be giving a lot of parts to the local JC.

I've just started looking at our DIPs. A first look showed over 50 parts
with monthly usage less than 10. I haven't done a DC check yet.

I had thought that our SM line could wait until last. But now that I know
received parts can already be old, I will be looking into that soon.

Here are the answers I received to my post on technet.

From: "David D Hillman"<[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]