TECHNET Archives

November 1997

From:
David D Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:38:56 -0600

I asked our ex-resist salesman engineer what he would recommend to remove
scale.  Below is his reply.

Dave Sullivan
PWB Applications Engineer
Rockwell Collins, Inc.
---------------------- Forwarded by David D
Sullivan/CedarRapids/Collins/Rockwell on 11/25/97 09:37 AM
---------------------------

Peter M Carter
11/25/97 09:27 AM

To:   David D Sullivan/CedarRapids/Collins/Rockwell@Rockwell
cc:
Subject:  Re: [TN] FAB: Procedure to remove tin-scale in a resiststripper
      (Document link not converted)

Possible alternatives (need to be bench-checked):
     1)Remove all nozzles, and clean separately on the bench.
     2)THOROUGH plain water leach out :elevate the water level above normal
levels by putting extensions on          overflows, etc. Elevate the
operating temperature above normal if possible. Try to rig some sort of
filter basket in the     overflow sump to protect the spray pumps and catch
loose flakes. You may want to look at some kind of resist flake
filter/cyclone/screening system anyway to extend the life of your
proprietary strip solution, so maybe this is the time   to put it in. The
water solution may present a disposal issue if your local discharge permit
specifies tin.
     3) While the level is still elevated, and the nozzles are still out,
try circulating a solution of sulfamic acid (dry powder,     often used in
boiler clean-outs, etc). This is the part I'd play with on the bench in the
lab first to get the temperature         and concentration right. Sulfamic
won't bother MOST stainless alloys, but you should spot check this. This
solution       will  almost certainly require some treatment before
disposal, both from a pH and a metal content basis.
     4) Another THOROUGH plain water leach out. Higher than normal
temperature and water level. Maybe twice; if so         second time with DI
if you can.
     5) Ideally, before going into service, I'd sacrifice one make-up with
the new chemistry to repeat the leach-out, at the
higher-than-normal liquid level. You might be able to substitute this for
the second water leachout mentioned in (4),        above.
          No warranty, expressed or implied, your mileage may vary, user
assumes all risk, etc.
                                                        Marc Carter

ex-resist-tech-service-guy

David D Sullivan