TECHNET Archives

November 1997

From:
"COLLINS, GRAHAM" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:03:40 -0500
Good Day Technet!
In wavesolder attachment of some through hole components, we have to
provide a temporary standoff to keep the part off the board surface.
Currently we are doing this with bits of wire or other mechanical means,
which are then removed after wavesolder.  Some components we keep off
the board with a washable solder masking material, but this is not a
precise or quick method.  Is there such a thing as a preformed standoff
that will dissolve when the assembly is washed, that would be put on the
lead before insertion into the board?

Thanks!

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
Litton Systems Limited, Atlantic Division
(902) 873-2000 ext 215