TECHNET Archives

November 1997

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 00:03:17 UT
Dear Marcelo,

Yes, it is possible to measure SIR under a flip chip. If the comb pattern you
use is beneath a flip chip then any influences on the SIR across that comb
pattern will be detected just as if it were a standard IPC or MIL coupon being
measured in a more standard style of test. In fact we mount QFP's over our
process validation test comb patterns to provide a contamination entrapment
space and cleaning challenge. We think this makes it a better model for SMT
process validation, and so your idea is not at all far fetched.

It may take longer for moisture to penetrate to the comb pattern and lower the
SIR (if this is what occurs) but then this reflects the real application. In
terms of voltage, and the comb design the important factor is voltage
gradient.

You must look at the minimum track spacing (not so much the track width) that
is present in your application and the maximum voltage that is likely to be
applied across this space. From this you get the maximum field gradient (V/mm)
for your application, and it is this field gradient that you should apply to
your customised comb pattern.

Thus the voltage will depend upon the spacing on the comb pattern you decide
to use. By using the field gradient appropriate to your application you are
less likely to promote failure mechanisms that would not be relevant.

As an example on a B24 coupon (spacing 0.5mm) a bias voltage of 50V gives a
field gradient of 100V/mm.

In terms of using a bare board as a control, this is a very good idea, and you
should put a control in the chamber and actually test simultaneously whenever
you run a SIR test. This way any external and unwanted influences due to
chamber failure, condensation etc. can be accounted for.

Using an Auto-SIR(tm) unit you could take frequent readings (e.g. 128 test
points, 10 minutes intervals) and monitor the SIR over the whole test period.
You should try and stick to a standard to make your readings more comparable
with others e.g. IPC-TM-650.

You should start monitoring, heat up the chamber, and then apply humidity.
This way the effects of volatile materials can be seen, and the progress of
moisture penetration may also be seen effecting the SIR as the test
progresses.
Alan Brewin
Concoat Ltd

Concoat Ltd                                     Email: [log in to unmask]
Alasan House, Albany Park                       Tel:    +44 (0)1276 691100
Camberley, Surrey GU15 2PL UK           Fax:    +44 (0)1276 691227