TECHNET Archives

October 1997

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:45:56 -0500
Glad to help, James. The conference was very well attended--over 150 were there. This was the IPCs first effort at a conference to combine virtually all the board finishes. The emphasis was on new processes and sometimes sounded like a HASL bashing fest, but HASL was discussed also. Also, because some of these processes are still in the introductory phase, a few of the presentations sometimes had a "propietary" hint to them, and as could be expected, there was a bit a chest pounding on why their process was best. OK, a couple might have sounded a bit like sales engineers talking. However, the question/answer periods following each presentation were lively and gave lots of opportunity to steer the presenters back to global views.

We are always attuned to the overall needs of our members needs, and obviously this kind of attendance shows the need additional presentations of this nature. We also recognize that the industry needs a few months to mature the processes and learn some lessons about things such as the BGA/gold interaction issue Dave Hillman responded to on the TechNet. Because of this, we will be waiting a short time, probably 6-8 months before we develop a follow-on conference.

The good news is that the Proceedings (plus a supplement) have been reprinted and are available through IPC Customer Service. The cost is $50 for IPC members, $75 for non-members. Contact Customer Service at [log in to unmask] for additional information.

Thanks for this opportunity to assist you.  Jack

Jack Crawford, IPC Project Manger - Assembly
2215 Sanders Road, Northbrook IL  60062-6135
[log in to unmask]        http://www.ipc.org
847-509-9700 x 393
fax 847-509-9798

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/97 03:02AM >>>
     Hello Jack,

     I am interested in the information that Dave mentioned. Can you let me
     know how I can get this information?

     James Tan
     Materials Engineer
     Hewlett Packard Singapore